For adults with type 1 diabetes and metabolic syndrome only
Our project aims to determine whether the promotion of a Mediterranean diet has beneficial effects for type 1 diabetes patients with metabolic syndrome.
Participation includes a medical visit, diet and body composition assessments, and nutritional counselling sessions.
Participants are required to visit the Institut de recherches cliniques de Montréal (IRCM) at least once a month over the course of the nine-month project.
Your participation in the project includes:
- 12 visits over a period of 36 weeks
- 9 educational sessions with a nutritionist
- A medical visit
- A body composition assessment, using a DEXA
- An evaluation of your nutritional profile via an online food frequency questionnaire
- An evaluation of your physical activity level, using an accelerometer
- A financial compensation for visits
- From 18 to 65 years old
- Type 1 diabetes for at least 12 months
- On intensive insulin therapy with multiple injections or insulin pump
- Being overweight or obese (IMC ≥ 25 kg/m2
- A stable weight for at least 3 months
- Meeting at least 3 of the following criteria:
- Abdominal obesity (waist circumference Men > 102 cm or Women > 88 cm
- TG ≥ 1.7 mmol/L or medication
- Blood pressure ≥ 130/85 mmHg or medication
- Fasting glucose > 5.6 mmol/L or medication
- Being able to travel to Montréal
- At least one visit per month at the IRCM
- Skype meetings an option for some of the visits
Project under the direction of Dr. Rémi Rabasa-Lhoret, IRCM.
Andréanne Fortin, nutritionnist
Phone: 514 987-5500 poste 3238