The Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) is a permanent advisory committee appointed by the Board of Directors of the Institut de recherches cliniques de Montréal (IRCM), upon recommendation by Dr. Tarik Möröy, the IRCM's President and Scientific Director (PSD). The committee is chaired by Dr. John Aitchison, Executive Director for Integrative Biology at the Institute for Systems Biology in the USA.
SAB members and their expertise encompass the IRCM’s five research divisions; cancer, immunity and viral infections, neurobiology and development, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, systems biology and medicinal chemistry. The committee also includes an expert in human genetics and the association of genetic determinants with human diseases.
The SAB's mandate is to:
- Advise the PSD and the IRCM Board of Directors on the IRCM’s scientific development with regard to new technologies, new fields of biomedical research, graduate education and recruitment strategies.
- Advise the PSD and the IRCM Board of Directors on questions regarding the scientific orientation and future development of the IRCM.
- Advise the PSD and the IRCM Board of Directors on translational and clinical research.
- Advise the PSD and the IRCM Board of Directors on industry partnerships and collaborations, and on technology transfer methods and strategies.
- Advise the PSD and the IRCM Board of Directors on strategies and means to forge successful and meaningful alliances with other institutions.
- Conduct a full institutional and scientific review every five years, at which time the SAB may choose to invite additional experts to sit as members and supplement its objectivity and abilities, as needed. The first evaluation visit took place in June 2012.
- Conduct smaller reviews and/or site visits every year, focusing, for example, on a single research division.
Refer to the committee's list of members and their short biographies.